Sunday, July 10, 2011

“ ‘I think,’ said Christopher Robin, ‘that we ought to eat all our provisions now, so we won’t have so much to carry.’ “ –A. A. Milne


Saturday, July 9: We made it!... to Dulles.  Read on:
 
         I woke up the morning of the flight to my mother kissing me on the forehead and saying goodbye because she had to go to work.  I would like to think I woke up right after she came in, but I have a sneaking suspicious that she cradled me and sobbed all night.  My flight from Rochester to D.C. went off without a hitch, however our flight to L.A. was cancelled.  I met up with Brad to get a new flight, and we were put on a flight to San Francisco the next morning where we will enjoy a glorious 10 hour layover.  Then we’re FINALLY off to Auckland at 9:45 p.m. and will arrive at 5:40 a.m. to wander aimlessly around the city with tons of bags and nothing to do.  Thank you United Airlines!!

         As many of you know, one of the highlights of my trip was seeing what Brad packed.  He tends to panic and bring some pretty ridiculous stuff.  Well let me tell you, my prediction of one flip flop, several framed 8x10’s of our cat, Penny, and a skateboard was far exceeded.  While waiting for our flight to San Fran, he proceeds to pull out a 25 pack of both blank DVDs and CDs.

The neccessities


         Upon questioning, he informed me with a very insulted look that he needs them to burn his videos onto.  He seemed even more insulted when I informed him that there are in fact stores in New Zealand. Next, he pulled out not one, but two packs of large index cards.  I tried to look under a black binder to see what other treasures were to be found and I was told to get out.  My favorite item followed: a box of 15 pens.  15.  In his carry on.  And God bless him, the next thing he says in full seriousness: “Now where is that second box?”  It was behind the 3 lbs. bag of trail mix Brad’s dad snuck in there before we left.


BREAKING NEWS!  I just pointed out a speck on Brad’s cup and when he pointed to it and said it was a speck of cardboard it flew away.  HA! 

Monday, July 11: As I type, we are about 2 hours from Auckland!  We decided to make the best out of our 10-hour layover in San Francisco and rented a car for 6 hours.  We took a wrong turn and crossed the bridge into Oakland (accidental bonus) and grabbed lunch and looked a little more closely at the map, then headed back over to San Fran to check out the Golden Gate Bridge- so beautiful!  We then drove over to Haight street to people watch (thanks for the recommendation, Cait!), drove along the coast for some photo ops, and headed back to the airport.  It was an awesome last look at the U.S. and a chance to stretch our legs before our 13-hour flight.

Brad and I in front of the Golden Gate Bridge

Alcatraz Island



Jumping picture gone wrong...


The flight has been great, we both slept for a good bit and are filling out our customs forms and enjoying the adorable kiwi accents all around us!  We are now checked into a double room at Base hostel in Auckland and I heard the best line I’ve heard so far this trip.  Brad: “What brings you to New Zealand?”  Middle-aged Irish woman: “I got drunk and bought a ticket.  It’s good for 6 months and I’m NOT working!”  Rock on.





3 comments:

  1. Yaaay! You made it!

    Love the pictures of San Fran. I've always wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to NZ posts and yes your mom was probably cradling you all nite, that is what G'ma predicted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you take Penny with you? Looks like her in the one picture. Awesome pictures and nice update. Sounds like a beautiful place. Glad to see you two are making the most of your visit.

    ReplyDelete