Wednesday, July 13, 2011

“Choose life- only that and always, and at whatever risk. To let life leak out, to let it wear away by the mere passage of time, to withhold giving it and spreading it is to choose nothing.” -Helen Kelley


       When I came to New Zealand 5 years ago, the last place Megan and I went was Auckland.  It left a bad taste in our mouths because we had gone from seeing some of the most beautiful scenery we’d ever seen, to a big city that looked just like any other city.  Then, to add insult to injury, Megan got some of her stuff stolen including her camera, wallet, and passport while she was sleeping in a hostel.  I had already flown out, so she was on her own to get the embassy to get home without a passport, change her flights, and just get around for another 2 days without any money.  She made the best of it, but as you can imagine, after all that I was less than excited to be starting out my year abroad in the city that didn’t exactly charm us.  However, my goal was that by the time we left Auckland, I wanted to like this city.  Mission accomplished, my friends.

         Brad and I arrived to the airport at 6:30 am and made our way to the hostel where we had a voucher from the program we’re travelling with for 2 nights in a 16-bed dorm.  After reading the paragraph above, you can imagine I was less than comfortable with this, so we upgraded to our own room for a whopping $4.  That $4 got us a king size bed, a view of the city, and now we have a big, messy (living out of a suitcase it hard, okay?) sanctuary.   In between getting bank accounts, tax numbers, and phones we have seen some really cool parts of the city.

Sky Tower

NZ flag

"City of Sails"

         Yesterday, we took a 40-minute ferry ride to a place called Waiheke Island.  The island is 100 km of coastline with beautiful coastal scenery.  At one point in the sculpture garden in Alice Park, I turned to Brad and said, “You are video taping the exact moment that it’s hit me that we are in New Zealand.” 

Sculpture at Alison Park

Doll House Bus Stop


They tried to make me queen of Waiheke Island, but I told them I was too busy.

La la la la!

Sheep in a vineyard?  New Zealand as!

Pukekos taking a water break

Sunset at the ferry


         Today, we took a free city tour.  There were only 3 of us, so Andy the tour guide let us really pick and choose what we wanted to see and do, and even took us to places not on the agenda.  Our first stop was crossing the Auckland Bridge.  I predicted a lovely stroll hand-in-hand with Brad but the next thing you know we were being harnessed up and taking a walk with the people going bungee jumping!  We got to watch about 5 bungees, which was so wild, but everyone that did it said it was so amazing and really smooth, not jerky like I thought.  They still weren’t getting me off that bridge.

All geared up to walk the Auckland Bridge

As if the bridge wasn't high enough to bungee... we have to go up steps now.

Bungee platform and worker

Famous people who have bungeed here
Nice form!


          Next, we drove to Mt. Eden.  The city of Auckland is built over about 30 volcanoes (they haven’t erupted in 600 years- phew!) and getting to the top of the Mt. Eden volcano gives you 360 degree views of the city.

Eden Park, where the All Blacks rugby team plays

View of another volcano in the city

Crater of Mt. Eden with Auckland skyline


         Finally, Andy dropped us off at the Auckland Museum, which has a lot of Maori history and artifacts and a pretty outrageous natural history section, which left mine and Brad’s skin crawling (i.e. giant cricket-like things that probably want to burrow into my skin and control me like an alien invader).  

Kia Ora

Maori Ancestor House

HUGE Maori canoe

Headress

Geico Gecko giving me guff for dropping their insurance...

Eel giving me the creeps

Me and my new best friend watching the sunrise together



         Back to Megan’s story: in true Megan fashion, she ended up exploring the city and doing all of the free things that Auckland has to offer.  She met a guy out with his kids and after chatting, he told her that he has done a lot of travelling and knows how bad her situation is and gave her about $40.  And this is what truly makes this city great.  The people here are so insanely nice, helpful, and laid back… sweet as!

        

                 

7 comments:

  1. Awesome, looks like the start of a wonderful adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you take Penny with you? Looks like her in the one picture. Awesome pictures and nice update. Sounds like a beautiful place. Glad to see you two are making the most of your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE the Queen of CES, why do you need Waiheke Island? Then again, maybe true royalty deserves multiple domains. Looks as though you are having a great time. Bungee jumping??? Maybe not now, but who knows what adventures loom in your future.
    I'm lovin' reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures are amazing, Liz!! Very professional... keep posting, can't wait to hear more! Miss you guys :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know my most favorite picture is the one of the clam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. *My* favorite picture is the one with the clam!!! I can't stop laughing!

    What a grand adventure!!! I still want to jump from that Sky Tower... :)

    ReplyDelete