Monday, April 23, 2012

"Autumn is a second spring when every leaf is a flower." -Albert Camus


       Updated 25/4 (Kiwi Park addition at bottom)    
  
       Being in the Southern Hemisphere means that the seasons are all flip-flopped.  I expected to arrive in August to snow and to spend Christmas tanning on the beach, but for some reason Autumn in April has really thrown me.  The changing colors, crisp air, and autumn smells all make me think of back to school, Halloween, and Thanksgiving.  So it’s weird that my landlord’s kids are running around finding Easter eggs and it is, in fact, April 23rd.
 

        However I certainly can’t complain about the absolutely amazing foliage in Queenstown.  Brad and I have been wasting the afternoons away playing Frisbee golf at the Queenstown gardens while enjoying the scenery and taking advantage of the still warm weather.



Great Crested Grebe









Brad and his best eel buddy

This has nothing to do with Fall, but is ADORABLE!!
 
      We have some traveling planned for the near future.  On Friday we are heading to Dunedin for the weekend to visit our old friends and revisit some of the things that we loved while living there for our first 5 months in NZ.  Then we’re flying to the bottom of the North Island and doing a 5 day trip up to Auckland visiting Wellington, Napier (wine country!!!) and Rotorua (stinky sulphur country!!!) along the way.  From there we fly to Fiji for 8 nights.  Not a day goes by that I don’t feel completely spoiled by this year abroad.

    Before I sign off, here are some more amazing sunset pictures, many taken from our deck.  God I love this place.







Update: All of our dreams came true yesterday while volunteering at the kiwi park when we were allowed to pet a opossum (the super cute Australian kind, not the demonic North American kind) and hold a Tuatara.  The opossum was as soft as I imagine a baby cloud to be and the Tuatara was kind of scary, really cold, and we were informed when Brad was asked to tuck his thumb in that they can bite down to the bone.  Yowza.  

I'll start with the nice pictures:




 And naturally, I'll follow with the outtakes: 
Me flinching after Pestulance gave me a dirty look for trying to give her bunny ears.

Rex making a run for it.

And finally, the best picture of this year's trip.  I'm so pretty.  And no, I was not making this face to be funny.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment