Monday, February 6, 2012

"Heading south to see the sun go down on camp fire light, to join the singing at night... Heading South, heading South." -Roy Orbison


We’ve arrived in Queenstown!  After a 4 ½ hour bus ride to Auckland, staying the night, and catching 1 hour flight the next afternoon, we made it back to the South Island.  We spent the first few nights in a hostel while we searched for jobs and apartments with our new Canadian buddies, Jesse and Jami.  I had really good luck meeting a girl at a 7-11-ish store who said she just left a job cleaning at a hotel for really nice bosses, but wanted more hours and was sad to leave.  I dropped my resume off that afternoon, and they called me back later with a job 4 to 5 days a week!  I start tomorrow and hope it works out.  I may want to work odd jobs here and there to make some extra spending money, but I’m really glad to have the work.  We also lucked out and found a really great apartment on the ground floor of an incredibly nice kiwi family’s house.  They are letting us rent on a week by week basis for a great rate, and also give us rides into town all the time, invited us up for a BBQ and to hang in the hot tub, and overall are just really cool people with 2 adorable sons.  Oh and our view may be one of the best in Queenstown.  And they have a chocolate lab.  And two cats.  And they didn’t make fun of me when I brought soy sausages to the BBQ.  Keepers!

Flying over Golden Bay

... and 15 minutes later flying over dessert...

...with snow-covered mountains out the other side.  God I love NZ.
Arrived in Queenstown!

 Brad immediately reports and puts out a fire at a hotel.  My hero.

Jami and Jesse ordering at Ferg Burger, at QTN fave
Walking to town?

Brad can never resist jumping into the water!  Love this pic.
Having a teapot at World Bar




Tridon


J.D.







No comments:

Post a Comment