Thursday, August 18, 2011

"See, I just don't know where it stops! Where is the line between food and insect?" -Karl, "An Idiot Abroad"

I thought I'd take a moment to talk about the food in New Zealand.  Overall, pretty similar to the US in that it's a mix of foods from all over.  There are lots of Italian, Asian, and Indian restaurants, and you have your McDonalds and Burger Kings spattered around the main streets.  There's a lot of lamb and fish, and pumpkin is really popular.  Also they take their coffee very seriously, although it's all espresso-based, and the cheapest espresso machine I saw today was $300.  I'll stick to my $8 coffee press thank you very much. 

The grocery stores are easy to navigate, but they tend to have a different name for everything, which has gone from charming ("Oh how cultural, a sweet potato is called a 'kumara' here") to rather tiresome ("WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT A 'ZUCCHINI' IS?!" -me to shaking pimply-faced produce boy).  I think what I miss most food-wise about home is a good old fashioned cheese pizza.  They make them, but it's just not the same.  How much do you think Nima's charges to deliver overseas?  I would kill for a slice.

Here are some of my most shocking and bizarre food findings in the Dunedin area:
I'm sorry but wtf are rice "bubbles?"  And when did Snap, Crackle, and Pop go all Pixar on me?


I know I've posted a picture of a frozen flounder before, but I couldn't help myself.  Anything with 2 eyes on one side of it's head does not belong in the frying pan.


That.  Ain't.  Right.  
"Duuuuck Chins!  Getcha fresh duck chiiiiiins!"
If this bag of pork cracklings was an isolated incident I wouldn't have posted it, but I have seen multiple instances of perfectly sane looking kiwis snacking away.  For shame.
Brad and I caught wind that there's a Pizza Hut in Dunedin, so if anyone asks for me tell them I'm face down in an extra cheese personal pan eating my way to freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment